BSc(First Class Hons), PhD, CEng, FIET, SMIEEE, MHKIE
Previous/present academic positions:
|University Lecturer||Dept. of ENC, Hong Kong Polytechnic||9/1992-1/1995|
|Assistant Professor||Dept. of EIE, Hong Kong Polytechnic University||2/1995-2/2000|
|Associate Professor||Dept. of EIE, Hong Kong Polytechnic University||3/2000-now|
|Visiting Scholar||Dept. of ECE, University of Windsor, Canada||9-10/2006|
|Associate Head||Dept. of EIE, Hong Kong Polytechnic University||9/2002-6/2006
|Interim Head||Dept. of EIE, Hong Kong Polytechnic University||1/2013-12/2013
|Fellow||Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET), U.K. (since 2016)|
|General Co-Chair||2020 IEEE International Conference on Visual Communications and Image Processing|
|Associate Editor||IEEE Open Journal of Circuits and Systems (since 2019)|
|Area Chair||2018 International Conference on Multimedia and Expo|
|Associate Editor||IEEE Signal Processing Letters (since 2016)|
|Finance Chair||2017 International Conference on Multimedia and Expo|
|Technical Co-Chair||2015 APSIPA Annual Summit and Conference|
|Technical Co-Chair||2015 International Conference on Digital Signal Processing|
|General Co-Chair||2014 International Conference on Digital Signal Processing|
|Finance Chair||2010 International Conference on Image Processing|
|General Chair||2004 International Sym. on Intelligent Multimedia, Video & Signal Processing|
|Finance Chair||2003 International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, Signal Processing|
|Chairman||IEEE HK Chapter of Signal Processing (1999-2001)|
|Editor||HKIE Transactions (2008-2013)|
|Technical Committee Member||IEEE Circuits and Systems Society
Visual Signal Processing and Communications TC
Digital Signal Processing TC
|Leading Guest Editor||EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing (2010-2011)|
- Best Paper Award
Li, Daniel P.K. Lun, and T.W. Shen, “Improved expectation-maximization framework for speech enhancement based on iterative noise estimation”, Proceedings, IEEE International Conference on Digital Signal Processing, pp. 287-291, Singapore, 2015.
- Best Paper Award in the track Computing in Dialogue Session
B. Arniker, H. K. Kwan, N. F. Law, and Daniel P. K. Lun, “Promoter prediction using DNA numerical representation and neural network: Case study with three organisms”, Proceedings, 2011 IEEE Annual India Conference, Hyderabad, India, 2011. (DOI: 10.1109/INDCON.2011.6139397.
- Best Student Paper Award
K.H. Ho and Daniel P.K. Lun, “Road Traffic Monitoring System using Content-based Scalable H.263 Video Coding Scheme”, The 1st IEEE Pacific-Rim Conf. on Multimedia, pp. 257-60, Australia, 2000.
- Receipt of the Certificate of Merit from IEEE Signal Processing Society “for dedication and leadership in organizing the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP)”.
Samples of research projects
- Widefield Coded Microscopy for Surface Wave and Cellular Imaging (on-going)
- Dual-tree Complex Wavelet Transform Profilometry for Efficient 3-dimensional Model Reconstruction (completed)
- Visual Signal Processing Technology for Emerging 3D Applications (completed)
- Speech Enhancement Based on Spectrally Adaptive Wavelet Denoising (completed)
- Multiwavelets for Denoising and Singularity Detection (completed)
- Wavelet Singularity Detection for Very Low Bit-rate Image and Video Coding (completed)
- A study of the Computer Tomography and the Wavelet Transform (completed)
- Efficient Algorithm for Blind Deconvolution and Its Applications to Medical Functional Imaging (completed)
- Demonstration of Video Sequence Transmission via LAN, Internet and Mobile Network (completed)
- Feasibility study of multimedia multicasting using wireless LAN (completed)
- On the Architectures and Realization of Asynchronous Computer (completed)
- Streaming Proxy Server for Internet Multimedia Applications (completed)
- Streaming Reflector for Internet Multimedia Delivery (completed)
- On the Architectures and Realization of Asynchronous Computer (completed)
Tutorials and Invited Talks
- “Robust Non-Contact Three-Dimensional Measurements Based on Fringe Projection Technologies”, presented at 2017 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, 19 June 2017.
- Invited talk. “Robust Non-Contact Three-Dimensional Measurements Based on Fringe Projection Technologies”, presented at the Workshop Series in Data Science and Machine Learning Applications organized by Chu Hai College of Higher Education, 19 June 2017.
- Invited talk. “Robust Non-Contact Three-Dimensional Measurements Based on Fringe Projection Technologies”, presented at Nanjing University of Posts & Telecommunications on 6 December 2016.
- Invited talk. “Iterative Regularization for the Inverse Problems in Speech and Image Processing”, presented at the 2014 International Conference on Digital Signal Processing on 22 August 2014.
- Invited talk. “Iterative Regularization and Sparse Representation – Applications in Speech and Image Processing”, presented at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University on 12 December 2013.
- Invited talk. “Fast Fringe Projection Profilometry with Absolute Phase Marker Retrieval”, presented at the Collaborative Conference on 3D and Materials Research (CC3DMR) 2013 on 24 June 2013.
- Short course. “Introduction to Wavelet Transforms and Applications”, presented at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University on 21 November 2007.
- Invited talk. “Wavelet Transform for Signal Denoising”, presented at Windsor University, Canada in 29 September 2006.
- Short course. “Wavelet applied to Denoising”, presented at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University on 8 February 2004.
Graduated Research Students
|Li Tingtian, PhD, Thesis title: “Image Reflection Removal Based on Image Gradient Regeneration”, 2019
Budianto, PhD, Thesis title: “Robust Fringe Projection Profilometry”, 2016
Shen Tak-Wai, PhD, Thesis title: “Speech Enhancement Using Sparse Representation Methods”, 2015
Ng Wai Lam, William, PhD, Thesis title: “Three-Dimensional Model Acquisition and Motion Synthesis”, 2013
Lo Wing-Yee, Winnie, EngD, Thesis title: “Study of Multi-Standard Video Codec Processor Architecture – A Quantitative Approach”, 2012.
Shum Yu-Hing, EngD, Thesis title: “Improved Discrete Multiwavelet Transform for Vector-based Image Coding”, 2007.
Cheuk Wai-Kong, PhD, Thesis title: “Proxy Servers for Internet Multimedia Streaming”, 2005
Tse Kai-Wing, MPhil, Thesis title: “Design and Implementation Issues of High Performance Cluster Computing”, 2004.
Chan Chi-Lun, PhD, Thesis title: “Techniques for image enhancement and robust video communications”, 2003.
Ho Yuk-Fan, MPhil, Thesis title: “Singularity Detection for Regularity Scalable Image Coding”, 2003.
Ho Kai-Hong, MPhil, Thesis title: “Content-based and Temporal-scalable Video Coding”, 2002.
Hsung Tai-Chiu, PhD, Thesis title: “Wavelet Transform and Its Applications to Image Processing”, 1998
Tse Ming-Chi, MPhil, Thesis title: “ASYNMPU: A Fully Asynchronous Microprocessor”, 1999
Lau Chi-Hoi, MPhil, Thesis title: “Advances in Functional Imaging with Emission Computer Tomography”, 1999
Shen Tak-Wai, MPhil, Thesis title: “Applications of the Discrete Radon Transform in Image Processing”, 1998
Chu Cheung-ki, Jacky, MSc, Thesis title: “Cost effective IP address monitoring system using PC/TCP packet driver specification”, 1998
Tang Ching-Chung, Eric, MSc, Thesis title: “Best Wavelet Packet Bases for Image Compression”, 1997
Kwong King-Leong, Victor, MSc, Thesis title: “Optimal Scan for Time-Varying Tomography”, 1996
Chan Wai-Yeung, MSc, Thesis title: “Wavelet Localization of Tomography Image Reconstruction”, 1996
Chan Hei-Ping, MSc, Thesis title: “Multiscale Tomographic Reconstruction by Wavelet Transform”, 1996